From:
Katherine Catone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jul 1998 19:28:21 -0700
I saw and taped this piece.  It was done by one of the authors of What to
Expect.  It started out with her interviewing in a small group several
mothers & babies (several nice shots of mothers nursing babies, tho none
at a front on angle).  Mom's all brought up medical advantages to bf
(healthier for babies, higher IQ, etc), and talked about how long they
intended to nurse - most seemed to agree about 1 year, l mom said that
now that her baby was (6)? mos. old she was thinking, maybe she would
nurse longer than 1 year - a month at a time (BTDT!).  Then the
interviewer met with Lisa McCree in studio to discuss the mom's answers,
and other info.  The interviewer did say that she thought the evidence on
breastfeeding making babies smarter wasn't conclusive, and she thought
that if it did it was related to to interaction, touch, eye coordination
from switching breasts, etc that these things helped to connect neurons.
Lisa McCree asked if any studies had shown negative effects of nursing
past a certain age, and it was clearly stated that NO negative effects
were known related to long term nursing, that the AAP recommended at
least 1 year, that it was the norm for children to be fed long term in
other countries with no one thinking twice.  Nursing past 2, past 3 and
past 4 1/2 were all mentioned.

I was surprised at what a positive piece this was, tho I have to admit
I've seen 3 positive pieces on breastfeeding in the last 6 months or so.
Kevin Newman, the other anchor - who is on vacation or something right
now - has done the others and it sounds like his wife breastfed their
kids.  They did a piece on twins recently and the Parents magazine person
didn't mention breastfeeding, but Kevin made a quip about learning to
breastfeed 2 at once, it appeared he threw the Parents Mag. rep for a
second.
  Lisa McCree is married but no kids, and I think currently has a
bicoastal marriage due to the career move for her to NY from LA.   I may
have picked up something regarding fertility problems there.

My main problem with this latest piece was the fact that it was not an
IBCLC reporting on breastfeeding.  I think we should start mentioning
this possibility when we are responding to these stories.

Kathe Catone