From:
Peggy Ventura <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Sep 2007 07:54:53 -0700
I didn't mean to imply that the meat was more 'raw' . I have two points :
One in many cultures the men get fed first, read"get the best, the meat etc" Sorry to point out, the mothers/babes are not always top priority.
Point two concerns 'supermarket meat'. Feed lot raised, antibiotics, slaughter house abuse, feed with unnatural ingredients, all of these have an effect on the quality and value of the meat.
I still wonder why our breast milk is not used as the standard for measurement of nutritional requirements of infants over the age of 5-6 months.

Peggy Ventura

Morgan Gallagher <[log in to unmask]> wrote: There's something I'm missing here, and I hope I don't sound too stupid
when asking for it to be explained out?

We know from current stone age peoples, that the arrival of any sort of
meat in the tribal diet, is immediately followed by the entire tribe
ingesting it as fast as possible.  This includes mothers prechewing and
giving meat-pap directly mouth to mouth into their babies, which the
babies then eat, so the issue of how 'raw' the meat would have been
compared to what's in supermarkets, doesn't make sense to me.   Hunter
gatherers are not hunter gatherers, they are gatherer-hunters, with
hunting being the smallest proportion of food ingested - but the most
desired and usually the most ritual laden.  When fresh meat is acquired,
it is carefully parcelled out so that everyone, including the babies,
gets some.  And the whole point is that with breastmilk also in the
diet, they don't need much at all.

But I'm still utterly confused as to why we need to go quite far back in
order to find mothers giving their babies meat?  Perhaps we just don't
like looking at the quite normal practice of mother pre-chewing foods
and passing it directly over to the baby?

Certainly, I did try not to do this in front of my mother in law....  ;-)

Morgan Gallagher