From:
Kathy Boggs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 17:12:28 EST
Lisa states: IMHO- I support maintaining certification in NRP for those LC's
working
on a Mother Baby unit. Yeah- most of the time there will always be someone
available to bail you out if a baby arrests, but those precious seconds
are wasted until a responder comes. I think , especially if we are RN LC's
working in a hospital setting, we need to remember we are RN's and keep
life saving certifications up to date- whether our current job appears to
utilize it or not.

I agree with this but do not feel it is necessary for LC's to do the whole
NRP course. Infant CPR and ability to use an infant ambu bag will take care of
any emergency outside of the delivery room until help arrives.  Better to know
well the early resuscitation skills of airway, breathing and circulation than
the whole 9 yards of NRP which one could easily forget unless you are called
upon to do delivery room resus.  I say this after having been an NRP instructor
for years. It's a great program but not necessary for those outside of the
delivery room and NICU who will have no more responsibility than being the first
responder.

I know we digress and are OT here so I promise to cease and desist on this
topic.

Kathy Boggs, RN, IBCLC