From:
Carol Chamblin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 00:52:22 EDT
Linda states:
"I have found it quite frustrating to work with a mom for quite a while and
give her the excellent service that every new mom deserves only to find that
she went to WalMart or onto the internet to make her purchase.  Part of the
higher price that is paid in a specialty boutique is for the service and
expertise provided (and referral for help if that would be better than
equipment.)
I totally agree with you.  I recently had a labor & delivery nurse call me
asking for my prices on the Pump In Style....she said the hospital LC told
her to get her pump on the internet from Canada because it was cheaper.  What
can I say?  I'm not going to be able to lower my prices to compete and afford
to stay in business.  My response was likewise addressing the service &
expertise attached to the sale of the merchandise.  Needless to say, though,
she proceeded with her purchase from Canada.  Then, she called me with a
question regarding her baby's difficulty with breastfeeding.  I chose to
answer her question, but didn't give away my advice for free.  I feel
strongly that I uphold my ethical standards and the professionalism of an LC
to promote the sale of items attached to expertise and service.  When I told
her my prices, I also informed her that a purchase from me meant I was
available for questions/concerns for the duration of her breastfeeding.  It
may sound cold, but I have to do business.  Otherwise, my business is no
different than shopping at Walmart.  I heard yesterday that this mom was
still struggling, but she hasn't called me back.  If she did, it sounds like
she needs to pay for a consult.
Carol Chamblin, RN, MS, IBCLC
Breast 'N Baby Lactation Services, Inc.
Geneva, Il  moving Oct. 1st to St. Charles, Il