From:
Kim Scott IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2006 10:08:40 -0400
Hi everyone,
I need some guidance . History goes like this...
Baby is 3 weeks old. First bb - term - birth wt - 7 pounds 1 ounce.  Has a
subtle posterior tongue tie which we can not get clipped in our small town.
Initially did a real number on mom's nipples from biting. Mom became
extremely engorged for a few days with responded poorly to all attempts
including RPS. Is now feeding well using shield with deep latch and
transfers milk well with switch nursing and breast compression every 2-3
hours. I do not have access to a finely calibrated scale so can not test
weigh but looks like she is getting lots of milk. Mom pumps after every
feed for better breast drainage and obtains between .5 - 1 ounce EBM.
Weight gain was very poor and supplements were added after week one. Is now
giving 1.5 ounce by cup- mom's choice ,of  EBM if available or ABM.
Maintaining a good gain with this and is now back to birth wt. Mom started
Domperidone 80 mg daily one week ago but no noticeable increase in supply
yet. My questions are:
1. How long in cases like this does it take for domperidone to kick in in
your collective wisdom? I know Jack Newman says to give it at least a good
3-4 weeks before ruling it out but what is the norm.
2. What should I advise about decreasing supplements. How fast, how much to
decrease by etc.
I will see them again in the morning so am anxious for your advice.
Leaving for ILCA conference on Monday and very excited to learn all that I
can. Hope to see some lactnetters there.
Kim Scott RNBN IBCLC
Miramichi NB
Canada