From:
Cathy Bargar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 12:30:44 -0400
Jill -

I totally love your plan of compiling a listing of the words women use for
breastfeeding all over the world! It's something you tend to learn about
real fast when you work at a WIC with a diverse population, isn't it? With
Americans, the use of the word "nursing" has always seemed more personal,
less clinical, more like what we really do (nourishing or nurturing, in the
fullest sense of the word, not just feeding), and more natural & friendly
than "breastfeeding". But it draws a blank stare from people from most of
the rest of the world (at least when we're talking in English). I would love
to know the words they use in their own languages! I hope you will share
your list with us!

I don't speak Spanish, but I've looked at enough BF materials to recognize
"dar el pecho" is commonly used; I found it amusing when my daughter
translated it for me as literally meaning "give the chest". She tells me
that there's a word "amamantar" (not sure if I've got it quite right) that
means more like what we mean by "nursing" - seems to carry implications of
nurturing, etc. (She came home from school with this written in pen on her
hand, very excited! That's my girl!)

I know there are Spanish speakers out there among our number - what's the
deal, and why does the "literature" for new/perspective mothers use the less
friendly-sounding "dar el pecho"? Or am I all wrong?

Cathy Bargar, RN, IBCLC Ithaca NY