From:
Kate Coller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Sep 2005 22:14:50 EDT
Hi All,
I have been lurking for several months and really enjoy all of the
information and support generated here!  My name is Kate Coller and I live  in Elmira,
NY.  I have two little girls, ages almost-3 and 4.

I just thought I would throw it out there that while it would be safe  to
assume that the mother on the cover of this Newsweek is not  breastfeeding either
one of her children due to the fact that she had a bottle  in her hand, I
would not assume so just because her children appear to be so  close in age.  We
all know that there are exceptions to the rule that  exclusive breastfeeding
helps with "natural child spacing".  My daughters  are 16 months apart in age,
and I became pregnant with my second when my older  daughter was 7 months old,
co-sleeping, night nursing, nursing on cue and barely  eating any solids.  I
have a friend whose children are 13 months apart and  her parenting and
nursing style is very similar to mine.  Closely spaced  babies sometimes happen,
even in breastfeeding families!  The babies in  that picture could have easily
been the same ages as my girls!  It really  did hit home for me, though, seeing
that mom with those two little  ones.

Thanks for all the great information and circulation of knowledge!

Kate Coller