From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jun 2005 14:58:57 -0400
A few years ago, I worked with a young mother - one of the most impressive mothers I have ever worked with.  Her 3-month premature baby came home around due date still on 24-hr oxygen.  Emily lived in a tiny apartment, and scuffed carefully around in it all day every day, avoiding stepping on the tubing that followed them everywhere, never going out because her baby couldn't.  She had seen other premie moms' milk supplies fail, and so had pumped every 2 hours around the clock for months.  When I met her shortly after her baby's due date, she was using a Nurture III to maintain double the supply a term baby would need.

Her baby was an "aggressive non-latcher" despite skin-to-skin, co-sleeping, endless carrying.  We used a nipple shield on the old style Munchkin to lure baby first to the shield, then to breast.  Then it took still more time and determination and patience to get the baby off the shield, but she ended with an exclusively breastfed baby and a radiant smile. Her torso was *covered* with tattoos, which she now regretted.  I told her I thought the same independent spirit and strength of character that led to the tattoos was the force that got her to where she was with her daughter.  She started community college and was considering midwifery among her goals.

I just read in the paper that she died Monday, unexpectedly, at home.  She was 23.  So very, very sad!  The world needs more women like her.

I know that none of you have ever heard of her, or will ever hear of her beyond this, but if anyone is interested in contributing to an education fund for her 3-year-old daughter just because Emily was such a wonderful, strong, dedicated woman, you could send it to the Mela Cowan Educational Fund, c/o Cornell Finger Lakes Credit Union, 1030 Craft Road, Ithaca, NY  14850  USA.

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC  Ithaca, NY  USA
www.wiessinger.baka.com <http://www.wiessinger.baka.com>