Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Sep 2007 13:11:13 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (33 lines)
Dear Friends:

When you go to the CDC.gov/breastfeeding web page, you will find several new documents posted. One is about the link between breastfeeding and obesity/overweight. At the end of that document?are some recommendations for activities to promote breastfeeding. There is a paragraph at the end about the lack of evidence to support some of the earlier CDC recommendations. I?will quote?directly from that document:

According to this CDC document (that I found this morning) there is "limited evidence for using countermarketing techniques and the World Health Organizati International Code of Marketing of Breast-milk Substitutes to limit the negative effect of the commercial marketing of infant feeding products."

Now isn't that interesting? The Code must be an effective device, if industry is fighting so hard in the US to suppress information about the risks of using formula, and now getting the Centers for Disease Control to withdraw support for the WHO Code.

I am in Portland, ORegon, speaking at the Gentle Birth World Congress. I saw Ricki Lake's "The Business of Being Born" last night and had the joy of bringing my older daughter and her husband to watch this powerful film. Today I am speaking on the link between formula and obesity and diabetes to that same audience and that is the reason I discovered this new CDC document.

Profit before health: that is the MOD in the US today. Why would any country aspire to be like US?

warmly,
Nikki Lee

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
Mail all commands to [log in to unmask]
To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or [log in to unmask])
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet or ([log in to unmask])
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2