From:
James O'Quinn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jul 2005 09:10:24 -0400
I looked for my old WABA posters but couldn't find them,
I think I passed them onto my LLLL friends...
but this info regarding percentages of solid food
doesn't sound like WABA to me...

Usually organizations with an international audience tend to discourage
an over-reliance on solid foods as this contributes to diarrhea
and infant malnutrition ...

This sounds more like an old AAP recommendation,
(or current depending on the subcommittee :-( )

I've got several books that I refer to whenever I want to know
what the conventional *wisdom* is on something...one of them is the 1999
edition of the AAP's *Caring For Your Baby and Child*, may be somebody

About weaning it states "Even under the best of circumstances it may
not take place overnight."
WHAT ARE THEY SAYING?

About colic it says.."Sometimes, in breastfeeding babies, colic is a
sign of sensitivity to a food
in a mother's diet. The discomfort is only rarely caused by sensitivity
to milk protein in formula."
(Italics mine.) THEY CAN'T BE SERIOUS! DO THEY WANT EVERY NURSING
MOTHER OF A COLICKY BABY
TO RUN TO THE STORE AND BUY FORMULA?

This same book says that an 8-12 month old on a 750-900 calorie a day
diet needs 400-500 of those
calories to come from solid food. But I'm with Claire...this is of no
practical help...
With cue-nursing I think babies control the percentages and I seriously
doubt
the breastfed baby is consuming half of his calories from solid foods...
It's only when milk supply is compromised by scheduling that babies
overeat solids (in my humble opinion)...

Jen O'Quinn