From:
Garry Dormody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Sep 1998 22:44:49 -0700
Hello Wise Ones,
I am currently working with a 12 day old baby who will not take milk from her
mother's breasts. She was given bottles of EBM in hospital on day four when
mom says that, "she forgot how to breastfeed". Mom continued this practice of
feeding EBM from a bottle at home. I was contacted when baby was 6 days old.
My recommendation was to stop bottle feeding and feed the EBM via cup, spoon
or eyedropper coupled with reintroduction to the breast.
Baby's oral cavity felt normal, her tongue was in a good position and moving
appropriately to milk a breast and she had a good suck. Her behavior at the
breast spoke to me of nipple confusion - she would fuss and scream and pull
away.
In the meanwhile the mom has enlisted the support of a lay breastfeeding
counsellor who has visited twice. The lay counsellor said that she has gotten
the baby (twice) to take a good mouthful of breast but she will only suck once
and then comes off frustrated and screaming again. The baby has been cup fed
only since Friday. The counsellor reports that mom has lots of milk (it drips
out everywhere) and mom is getting very frustrated that the baby will not suck
at the breast with the milk so readily available.
I have discussed finger feeding as a means of transition to the breast with
the understanding that she may be looking at about two weeks to this problem
to resolve. My initial recommendation( at day six) was a lactation aid at the
breast but it wasn't met with much enthusiam. Mom is expressing her milk using
a L*****a and doing single pumping.
I am wondering what other suggestions could be offered to her. I really see no
reason for this baby not to learn to feed from the breast but I know it will
take much patience and time.
Any feedback on this situation will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Nola

Nola Moulton RN BN IBCLC
Northwest Territories, Canada