From:
Margery Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 1995 09:57:28 -0500
Reading the posts about counseling moms who
"nurse all the time" made me feel like sharing:

The Spring 1994 issue of Mothering  had an article
written by attorney Elizabeth N. Baldwin entitled "So I
Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes." She looks back on the
experience from eight or so years later and discusses
the doubts she had, criticism she received and her
certainty now that she did the right thing. Her writing is
entertaining. In writing of doubts when her baby did
not sleep through the night: "Oh, help, I thought, am I
causing him to wake up so often? Tempting him with
the equivalent of chocolate chip cookies in the middle
of the night?" She tells of being banned from her
father-in-law's home for three months because she
jumped up too often during dinner to care for the baby
(thus making baby too dependent on her and not
teaching delayed gratification ;-)  )      Ms. Baldwin's
husband contributed a short article "One Father's
Perspective on Demand Nursing" that is boxed in the
body of the larger article.

I hand this article out to moms who are in the same
boat. Laughing is better than crying!
Margery Wilson, IBCLC
MIT Breastfeeding Support Program
ILCA Region I (New England States) Representative