From:
"<Pestro AF>" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jul 1995 21:30:01 -0400
Dear Denise,

Your message about the woman that you are so concerned about appeared in the
same digest with a message from Anne Eglash stating that we need to be
careful about assuming that radiating breast pain is yeast in the ducts.  I,
too, have felt at a loss at times, interpreting all of the information that
is out there now about yeast infections and their impact on breastfeeding.

In these cases, I have found myself wishing for a physician who is an expert
in the lactating breast and a method of diagnosing (even though nurses and
lactation consultants don't diagnose) a monilial infection.  Would culturing
for yeast be at all practical?  And what would we culture?  The milk?  The
skin of the nipple/areola?

I hope that you will keep us posted on your interventions with this mom.
 Perhaps some of our medical colleagues on the Lactnet will have more
practical advice for you.  I just wanted you to know that I commiserate with
you.

Toni Pestro
Cincinnati, Ohio