Date:
Sun, 6 Sep 1998 15:29:30 -0400
What would you say/do?

I saw a new mom in the hospital this week.  She had just given birth to
a 8lb. 6 oz. boy who is her second child.  The sibling is 7 years old.
She admits to smoking 2 1/2 to 3 packs of cigarettes a day at the end of
her pregnancy because, "I was big and fat and couldn't do anything but
sit around; so I smoked."  She said she usually smokes 1 1/2 to 2 packs
a day.  She quit smoking about 6 weeks into the pregnancy. She reports
feeling no side-effects from stopping, but was so "bitchy" and argued
with her husband all the time, so she does not want to quit again.

This mom did not breastfeed her first child but is breastfeeding this
new baby.  What would you say/do?  What about the risks of this amount
of smoking?

Barb Berges BS, RN, IBCLC
Rochester, New York