From:
Yael Wyshogrod <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 1997 10:52:21 +0200
I was asked to speak at a mother baby group at a local public health
clinic. According to the original plan, the nurse arranging it thought
that most of the mothers attending would be breastfeeding, but as it
turned out, unfortunately, more than half of the mothers who actually
show up for this group are not breastfeeding.
I would like everyone attending the group to benefit in some way, and at
this point I feel it is inappropriate to make the bottle feeding mothers
feel too guilty or left out of the discussion. (I'd feel differently if
it were a prenatal group).
I thought of emphasizing the aspects of feeding that have to do with
bonding, touching, interacting, visual stimulation (as in switching
sides).  I'd point out that while breastfeeding has so many benefits,
both physiological and psychological, the bottle feeding mothers can
give their babies many of the psychological benefits that a bf baby gets
automatically through breastfeeding. The bottle feeding moms need to be
aware of the importance, and make a concious effort to interact with
baby while feeding, hold the baby close, switch sides, never prop
bottles, etc.. Perhaps they would be more likely to try breastfeeding
the next time.  (This is a population with a relatively high birth
rate).
I'd appreciate any comments or ideas that may assist me in planning this
session.

Yael Wyshogrod
Rehovot, Israel