Date:
Thu, 15 Dec 2005 01:42:46 +0000
I can see why this situation looks puzzling, but there are some
inconsistencies, too:

>  > Around week 6 baby began fighting at breast , always hungy never
>>  satisfied.

Could be normal behaviour - just wanted to feed / cuddle a lot.

>Mum feels supply dropped and never recovered.
>>  Weight gain  180 grams 1st week
>>  350 grams!!! 2nd week
>>   week 3,4,5 gained 740 grams
>>  over next 2  ( week 6,7)weeks he only gained 20 grams

This can happen with a baby who is piling the weight on - a
plateauing, rather than a consistent large weight gain. I would also
ask how accurate the weights were, too. Baby should be weighed naked
on properly calibrated electronic scales. Anything other than this
may not be accurate enough to make any judgement. Too often babies
are weighed clothed, with a nappy on, and guesses are then made.

>  > . Baby went from stooling 2/3 day to 1 every 4/5 days "with help". Mum
>was worried and gave him an enema , prune juice and water.

Normal pattern change at this age, as you say - no need for enema (!)
or the juice or water. Not a sign of low supply.

So....it's just not clear from the evidence that there was a drop in
supply. There will certainly be a drop in supply now, with up to 400
ml daily in supplement.

I agree that the early menstruation is worth throwing into the puzzle.

Heather Welford Neil,

NCT bfc, tutor, UK