From:
MARY TERHAAR <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 1996 07:59:16 EDT
Linda,

While it may be true that some hospitals send mothers home when the
baby hasn't demonstrated that they can latch on and suck effectively,
this is not universally true.  Our birth pathways track "difficulty
breastfeeding" as a source of variance.  Women who elect to
breastfeed and experience difficulty are kept in house if they choose
to avail of additional support.  Also we provide home visits to all
women delivered.  We find 96% of them within approximately 24h and
they again get lactation support.  When a mom is at home and having
difficulty, we can offer her a variety of other supports and do.

It is important to draw attention to institutions that are going the
extra mile in service of "quality" and not simply to call attention
to the large number who have forgotten it.

Mary