From:
Darillyn Starr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Mar 2004 14:28:26 -0700
Someone just asked me about whether an adoptive mother could get HIV from
breastfeeding an HIV+ baby.  I have heard that there were some documented
cases of this, in Russia, in the late 80s, but I haven't been able to find a
reference for it.  What I have been telling moms is that it is probably more
prudent to not have the baby suckle the breast directly, but to go all out
to be able to pump milk, and then bottle feed in a manner as close to
breastfeeding as possible.  In many cases, the baby is testing positive, in
the months after birth, but will eventually test negative.  In those cases,
preserving breastfeeding behaviors as much as possible will help make a
transition right to the breast easier, if it is determined that the baby
does not really have the virus. I have also wondered if nursing with a
nipple shield might be a compromise, that would cut the risk, while still
allowing feeding at the breast, and some stimulation of the breasts.

Has anyone seen anymore information on this topic?  Also, does anyone know
about research into giving HIV+ babies donor breastmilk?  I have heard that
some work was being done into the latter possibility, but have not seen
anything specific.

Thanks!
Darillyn