From:
Sam Doak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Dec 2009 09:40:21 -0500
But, we don't question each person treated individually why and how, do we?
We know the very root of the situation, why people start smoking, that it's
addictive, that it is heavily marketed to the most vulnerable people
(children).

We know why people turn to formula: breastfeeding's too hard or
inconvenient, bottles are easier, it's addictive (my milk's gone), it's
heavily marketed to the most vulnerable people...

I just wonder why we need to have experts on the abnormal. Experts on the
normal - breastfeeding - makes sense. People have difficulty with this, they
need support. If the first line isn't enough support, go to an expert. If we
have "experts" on artificial infant feeding, who are also supposed to be
experts on breastfeeding, where is the line drawn? The line starts to blur -
I'm an expert on formula a, and it's almost as good...

When a mother asks which formula she should use, how can I truthfully answer
her? I can give her the advertisements or websites, but if her baby is
having difficulty, they should be seen by someone who can deal with this
difficulty. I could not possibly be an expert on how to deal with
formula-caused diarrhea, or wheezing caused by allergy.

I would no way suggest a medication to someone with emphysema, that is out
of my scope of practice. I might suggest to the physician that Drug X has
fewer side effects, or that Mrs. H did better on Drug Y. Why would I
recommend a treatment (even though it is marketed towards parents as though
it was as innocuous as pancake syrup) that could cause a reaction (allergy,
obesity, GERD, hormones)? Not my area of expertise. If someone else wanted
to take this on, that is their business. But why would I, as a lactation
expert, dilute my knowledge with something that changes as the wind blows?
My goodness, keeping up with the lactation end of things is hard enough!

Best wishes,
Sam

<<Subject: Re: Need a reference!

Sam said "but if we parallel the formula industry to the tobacco industry,
we could say that we really don't know why kids start using tobacco and how
they use it."
I beg to differ, Sam there are buckets of evidence addressing these
questions.  Try a google scholar search of adolescent and smoking.
Nina Berry
Australia>>