Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 2014 14:56:29 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (44 lines)
As Diane W. has warned us "Watch your language!"

(I will not be shouting, but using capitals to accent, which is the only way I know how to go about it on LN.)

Thinking habits are hard to break! After I asserted: "Vacuum does not pull; other forces push. Evidenced based for 3 + centuries", I found on re-reading my last  post that I had fallen at least twice into the "trap" and chosen words that hark back to the "physical sense" that vacuum itself is DOING something active. Actually, it's negative effect e.g. LACK of positive force, is only PERMITTING SOME OTHER POSITIVE FORCES to DO SOMETHING ACTIVE.

1) ". . . .vacuum seems to cause other forces (such as excess interstitial fluid) to move forward faster, thereby crowding around the lactiferous sinuses more quickly." Better to have said "vacuum's LACK of POSITIVE FORCE seems to ALLOW or PERMIT other forces .. . . . .)

2). "Both gravity and vacuum may be causing any excess interstitial fluid to move forward into the flange. . . ."

Gravity may be ACTING on the weight of excess interstitial fluid to CAUSE some of its movement DOWNWARD, if the nipple-areolar complex is below the level of the heart. But vacuum is only ALLOWING or PERMITTING movement of any excess interstitial fluid toward the nipple-areolar complex. In the case of pendulous breasts (C cup or beyond) gravity can be used to OPPOSE or SLOW the movement of excess interstitial fluid while pumping or nursing, making it less likely to crowd the lactiferous sinuses, by attention to very "laid-back" or side-lying positioning of the edematous breast as described in my  previous post.

Picky, picky, picky I know. That's how I have come to see it in my "mind's eye". I have only high school physics, fascination with A & P, many years of palpation during clinical experience and much random reading of evidence to back me up. But it's a small attempt to "re-educate" those who can also "re-educate" others who are teaching moms to use pumps while they are in the midst of un-natural postpartum edematous conditions, which have yet to receive adequate formal research examination within the maternal-child health specialties. 

While Mother Nature is trying to move promptly and fully into Lactogenesis II, the lymphatic system is often temporarily overwhelmed by the challenge to try to normalize the amount of interstitial fluid contributed by IV fluids and the anti-diuretic effects of long administration of pitocin. However necessary and absolutely life-saving those factors may sometimes be, LC's and nurses and nutritionists, as well as all other HCP's, need to understand their potential after-effects and try to ascribe to what doctors continue to pledge: "First, do no harm!" In this situation, this can only happen if vacuum, anatomy and physiology are more fully understood. (This includes anyone issuing a breast pump!)

I still sometimes wonder if there are enough "craftsy folk" within the "lactation persuasion" to present a beautifully framed, artfully embroidered decorative plaque to every NICU in their city:

VACUUM DOES NOT PULL; OTHER FORCES PUSH.
                                                        (Evidence based for 3+ centuries!)

Or something to that effect!

K. Jean Cotterman RNC-E, IBCLC
WIC Volunteer LC     Dayton OH 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2