From:
Sharon Knorr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 2000 11:46:29 -0400
Dear Renate,

Yes, it is confusing, especially in such an international group. I haven't got all of them figured out yet, either, but I think that it is nice to know people's background to see what angle they might be coming from.

BSMT is a Bachelor of Science degree in Medical Technology (laboratory technology may be more meaningful to some - I work in a hospital lab doing testing in all departments and most blood draws as well as I work at night, alone.)  I have found this background to be very useful in my LC work as it involves a lot of biology, physiology, biochemistry.  We learn about a lot of different disease processes and how they affect the workings of the body.  It taught me to look at the whole picture when assessing a mom and baby, not just at the breasts and how the baby sucks.  And while I use herbs and homeopathy and other "alternative" medicine modalities, the scientist in me is often very sceptical of some of the things I read about here and in other places - just because it sounds nice and fits into our idealistic scheme of things, doesn't mean that it is true or useful - it has to make some kind of sense to me, based on my knowledge and experience.

ASCP stands for American Society of Clinical Pathologists which is the organization which administers the official "registry" exam for medical technologists, similar to IBLCE administering the exam which, if we pass, allows us to put IBCLC after our names as lactation consultants.  Similar to LCs, there are many medical technologists out there working who have not passed this exam.  But it is considered the "gold standard" to be an ASCP registered tech.  (BTW, there are competing organizations which have sprung up which also "certify" med techs and there is controversy now within the field as to what should be considered the standard - something which we have also seen to a small degree within the LC community, although I dearly hope that IBCLC will remain "THE standard" for LC certification.)

I enjoy your posts as well.  I am on vacation and taking the time, which I haven't had any of for so long, to respond to some of the posts.  Should actually be doing a million other things, but this is my vacation and I deserve some time to catch up on Lactnet.  Also had the chance last week to work in a hospital setting for the first time and it was a real eye-opener, as well as a fantastic experience.  The time went by so quickly and there was so much else to be done.  Did have a wonderful experience with a mom and baby who had a very rough start, but were nursing well by my last day - would like to think that I played at least a small part in that.

Now, if anyone can tell me how to keep shoes on my Appaloosa's feet..............

Warmly,
Sharon Knorr, BSMT, ASCP, IBCLC
Newark, NY (near Rochester on Lake Ontario)
mailto:[log in to unmask]