Date:
Wed, 9 Mar 2011 11:55:47 +0200
Hi all,

First of all, there are two different discussions going on - one is WHO Code violators offering events for the public - like in malls and exhibitions etc....where each IBCLC has to decide for herself if to attend or not. We all have the choice and it does mean one IBCLC is correct and one isn't. there are a lot of gray areas for some of us.
There are some who are so sure of ourselves that anything that smacks of a company that makes money - is already a no no. If for example there is a baby fair which either has the presence of a formula company or part sponsorship at this fair, is it better for us NOT TO BE THERE? We as a group will never have the financing most likely needed to produce these events on our own. So our opportunities are limited for bringing OUR untainted message to the masses. We unfortunately need a pr plan just like the companies do. How many of us are even able to make ends meet at the end of the month? And how do we let the community know that we exist?

The second scenario is IBCLC's who agree to speak at HCP gatherings sponsored by a Code Violator. Again, here we do have opportunity to meet face to face and give our take on many topics which are not always clear to HCP's who usually are not provided with an opportunity to sit and discuss our common interest. As far as I remember, the issue of the Code covers companies who are preaching and giving freebies to the public. But correct me if I am wrong but reps of these companies may turn to and give their information to hcpS. As long as no money is passing from that company to the IBCLC then I honestly don't see anything wrong here. (and even if she does get paid, it is a business agreement and not a sponsorship so here I am not sure about this-very grey area)

I personally differentiate between formula manufacturers and pump companies.

I find many IBCLC's being very reactive as soon as they hear of any connection of an LC with (god forbid) a company mentioned on the IBFAN list, but I see very few who are proactive in reaching out to the very important communities of HCPs or anyone else in order to enhance the  mutual relationship between us. At least here in Israel. Each one of us usually is living in our own world - doing very important work and I certainly don't belittle that, as I am amongst them, but generally letting "others" do the initiation and creation of opportunities to reach out to HCP's. This is not a complaint, just an observation.

I think it is imperative for all of us to analyse and think of our own behavior,  giving others the benefit of the doubt and assume always GOOD intent rather than jump to conclusions.  I don't think there is only one answer.

Respectfully,
Ellen Shein, LLLI, IBCLC
Tel Aviv

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5692 (20101210) __________