From:
Kershaw Jane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Sep 2009 10:24:03 -0500
Also, remember when brain surgery is done and actually almost any surgery where anesthesia is used, medications are given to dry up secretions.  Think about how we tell moms not to use pseudoephedrine because it can "dry up" the milk.  After brain surgery, patients are given medications to decrease brain swelling, a severe problem, as you might imagine.  These medications would probably have an impact on milk production.  I used to work in a neuro intensive care many lifetimes ago (before life as an OB nurse, NICU nurse, OB critical care nurse, then migrating to lactation - giving away my age here).  I'm rusty on my drugs and I'm sure there have been lots of changes, but the physiology and rationale cannot be all that different now.  In the hospital where I work now, we are often called to help moms post-surgeries.  Never really seen an engorgement issue, have seen decreased supplies.  But these usually bounce back with keeping the prolactin receptors open through stimulation and removal of whatever milk is there by breastfeeding and/or pumping.