From:
Laura Spitzfaden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Feb 2012 20:14:51 -0500
I have permission to post.

I was contacted by a mom whose breastfed baby was put on Neocate every other feed to break down the proteins in her breastmilk.  I have never hear of such a thing.  I thought that formula was a dead product with no potential for any enzymatic action, so this surprised me.  Can Neocate break down whole proteins in mom's breastmilk after baby consumes both?

Also, I would appreciate any further advice for this case.  Mom is gluten free due to celiac and her baby was breastfeeding well and gaining very fast.  Baby was 13 ounces over birth weight at 4 days old.  At two weeks, mom had a UTI and took antibiotics.  She and baby subsequently developed thrush which was treated successfully.  After the infection, antibiotics and thrush, baby became colicky, drooled and had mucousy stools.  The doctor suspects a milk-protein allergy and told mom to feed Neocate every other feed to break down the proteins in her milk.

I discussed block feeding with mom as her supply is still high and let her know that oversupply alone *could* cause the problems they had.  Also, the antibiotics and yeast could have caused damage in her gut.  She is planning to eliminate dairy and I told her about apple cider vinegar before meals, probiotics, digestive enzymes and fermented foods.  Does anyone have any other ideas for this mom?

-Laura Spitzfaden LLLL, IBCLC