Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 1998 19:31:44 +0000
In my opinion, the mother does not have to discontinue breastfeeding on
the affected side.  I have now followed about 50 women over the past few
years whom I have seen with documented breast abscesses.  Not one of
them grew pseudomonas, by the way.  All grew Staph aureus.  Except for a
few who had stopped breastfeeding already, or had decided to stop when
they learned they had a breast abscess, or a few who my trained surgeon
forgot and told her she shouldn't breastfeed (all told about 10), they
all continued within minutes of the surgery and all did well.

Even if pseudomonas grows, why is that different from Staph?

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC