From:
Karen Foard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 1996 08:58:19 -0400
I get calls all the time, like I'm sure you all do, about  breastfeeding and
starting solids, or occasional relief bottles.

What do you all say to the mom who has an appropriately aged baby (7
months), who is more than enjoying his first tastes of  the traditional (in
the US) first foods-- rice cereal, fruits, veggies.  She is also interested
in some "hold him over until I get home" suggestions for liquid extras-- but
does not want to pump to get some breastmilk, baby refuses formula and
juice, water is a short time period option.

Her question to me was : Why can't I put a taste, an ounce, maybe two, of
cows milk in an occasional cup?  Her doctor says absolutely not, not until 1
year, not even sips; he told her to just use formula.

What would be your responses to her question of why she couldn't offer her
baby a bit  here and there? Rationales?  I would love to hear your reasons
for absolutely not as well as why you may not feel that it is a horrible
idea. Any references you might have at the tip of your brain would be great,
too.

Thank you all for your thoughts on this.

Karen