From:
Virginia G Thorley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2001 11:42:16 +1000
Jean Ridler wrote:
< Interesting thread.  Most of us on this list are passionate about breastfeeding.  Many of us can perhaps afford not to make great money from lactation consulting - either because our spouse makes good money or because we have another job.  But ....family's financial needs change.
<  By association - breastfeeding is devalued if we cannot put a price on the "services" needed to help women and babies get it right.  When it comes to finding money for breastfeeding education for staff - it is nowhere to be found ....  Unfortunately, in this world we live in, breastfeeding and the work we do needs to be given a $ value or else it is seen as unimportant.  My 2ml worth!
< .... I want us to be careful to establish the LC profession as a profession of its own, not a sub-specialty of maternal child health nursing."

   In her long post Kathy Auerbach made some strong points about how it isn't possible for some of us to afford to do our IBCLC work without a husband with good income or a second job doing something else - nor should be have to!  We shouldn't have to subsidize our work through other income, as LC work should be recognised by adequate reimbursement.  People value something they have to pay for.  It is easy to feel virtuous about not charging money for a service, but it does undermine the position of the IBCLC without another income, who shouldn't be forced to live in poverty
  Jean has added to these points with some good points of her own.  Both posts have got us back on track about the issue of reimbursement.
     Virginia