From:
Judy Fram <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 1997 10:07:01 -0500
Hello to all,
     Two comments:
1. Anecdotal : my neighbor had a baby 12/96. MD performed C-Sec after many
hours, different positions, etc. Second baby. Strep B found in placenta. Both
mom and baby treated with antibiotics, IV for babe in NICU a week or so (
sorry I'm a little fuzzy on the details) Mom was told that Strep B is often
found in women with a history of being sexually active .( I'm not sure what
the time frame would be,she's monogomousx10 years ) and that the infection
may have been there even during her first birth 4 years prior but undetected.
Comments? Result. As per my .02, Mom immediately started taking
lactobacillus, and baby was syringe/cup in NICU until discharge after
antibiotic course. Baby came home, nursed beautifully,Mom had provided her
milk by pumping except for the one feed when baby when into ICU, and nobody
got thrush.
2. As per Sarah's comments re: baby who clamps down during feeds/exams, has
this baby been evaluated  for hypertonic bite reflex, or sensory integrative
problems? Some jaw or face massage might help, as well as finding a position
which minimizes reflex overactivity. Swaddling down the shoulders, sidelying,
etc. In my admtittedly limited experience, this usually is not indicative of
any other gross developmental problem ( we never want to scare a mom
unnecessarily). There is an OT with sensory integration training in Brooklyn
who worked with a mom here for feeding difficulties,( fussy, crying ,
unsettled at breast) and she's only sorry she didn't check it out earlier.
The child is now 5, lively, in kindergarten, but still cannot sit at a table
with lots of friends at birthday parties with other people too near her (a
defense against sensory overload?) Food for thought.         Judy, Brooklyn,
NY