From:
Lara Hopkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 09:08:40 +0800
On Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003, at 08:42 Australia/Perth, Karen Kerkhoff
Gromada, MSN, RN, IBCLC wrote:

> The
> biggest problem I've found with mothers postpartum with 24 hour
> post-delivery
> MgSO4 is the mental "spaciness," or feeling of detachment (feeling
> separate
> from their bodies) they complain of. Add that to the fact that
> probably most
> of these MOM/PIH moms had a surgical birth and may also be on a PCA
> pump, and
> it can be hard to breastfeed on cue or pump. Pumping moms don't think
> of it
> without reminders and, if left on their own, many can't manage to keep
> the
> flange in place.

Most of the mums on pumpmoms have found that pumping handsfree makes a
huge difference - there's no need to hold the flanges in place: one
must merely get the flanges placed correctly initially, then set an
alarm clock. Not focussing on the milk dropping slooowly into the
bottle seems to decrease "pump stress" and increase let-downs.
Meanwhile mum can read email or a book, gaze at their baby, or just
space out (or even doze off). Hands are also free to compress/massage
the breasts or adjust the pump settings.

Are hospital LCs stocking hands free pump bras to lend, or advising
mums as to how to make their own from an old sports bra?

Lara Hopkins
family doc in Perth, Western Australia