From:
carolyn westcott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Sep 2000 15:55:07 +0100
Why was the milk tested? This is ridiculous! A well, if pre-term baby,
having Mum's own milk should be left alone to get on with it. Even if
the baby is not well that is still no reason to test the milk.

Donor milk often has potentially pathogenic organisms in it. We do not
use this milk for a milk bank, but Mum's own baby is always fine with
it.
Last year we had a donor with huge numbers of bacteria in her milk. Her
own baby was fine, but the lab were doubtful that he should have the
milk. As she was having repeated mastitis, from the over-supply I think,
we tried to eliminate the organisms without success. The baby thrived.

--
Carolyn Westcott RN IBCLC Southampton UK
mailto:[log in to unmask]