Date:
Tue, 4 Nov 2003 00:19:04 EST
We have a dilemma in our Level III 35-bed Neonatal Unit.  Our breastfeeding
mother's have been expressing their milk into the sterile water bottles
provided to our unit by Mead Johnson and/or Ross Laboratories.  Somehow the company
has learned that we dump the water and connect the 2 oz. bottles directly to
the pump so that the breastmilk flows directly into a sterilized bottle.  In the
past the water bottles have been provided "at no cost" to the hospital.  Now,
the company puts a label on the water bottle that says "do not use for
collection & storage of breastmilk."  They are also beginning to charge the NICU for
the bottles.  Since there does not appear to be a more effective & safer
method of collection & storage for expressed breastmilk for our preemie babies,
especially the very low birth weight infant, we are wondering what other methods
other units across the country use?  Again, we are forced to recognize that
while the formula companies pretend to support breastfeeding, they certainly
are not willing to provide support for collection & storage of mother's milk.
I'd be interested to hear what other units are doing to combat this issue.

Mary Lou McGee, RNC, IBCLC
Providence Memorial Hospital/Sierra Medical Center
El Paso, Texas