From:
Lee Galasso <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2006 08:38:30 -0500
On Wed, 1 Nov 2006 21:40:19 -0600; Anne Altshuler wrote about: Scope of
Practice

I can't help feeling that, aside from the issues so clearly raised by others
about the new Scope of Practice guidelines developed by the IBLCE, that
(lack of) communication is one of the big problems here.  JoAnne Scott was
executive director of the IBLCE for many years, starting in 1985 and
continuing until her illness forced her resignation in 2005.  During her
tenure I remember the many years that she set up listening/discussion
sessions at ILCA conferences, in which she and the IBLCE solicited feedback
regarding proposed changes in practice guidelines or levels of practice
credentials.  She also presented sessions on ethics during which she
explained the rationale behind the codes and standards of practice.  She was
herself a LLL leader and an IBCLC (not an RN or MD) and had many years of
experience working directly with breastfeeding mothers and babies, so she
had a good understanding of the kinds of situations we deal with and their
repercussions.

To my knowledge the new executive director of IBLCE does not have this long
history of familiarity with ILCA, LLL, IBCLC practice, and the development
of the field.  I think that after JoAnne's resignation in 2005 and her death
in September of 2006, the new leadership has not taken enough time to build
bridges with practicing IBCLCs, solicit our input, or explain the thinking
behind proposed changes before leaping forward.  A lot of the mistakes and
anguish might have been prevented had a collaborative, respectful
relationship been developed from the start.  I realize that ILCA and IBLCE
are separate entities for good reason, but that does not mean that feedback
and opinion can't be solicited and thoughtfully considered before changes
are made.

Anne Altshuler, RN, MS, IBCLC, LLL Leader

AMEN!

Anne, have you sent this to IBLCE?  If not, please consider doing so.  Then
we can concentrate on how to work with IBLCE to correct a situation that,
hopefully, was not envisioned.  We are a group of intelligent and
well-educated women who CAN work together.

Lee Galasso, MS, IBCLC, RLC