From:
"Jennifer Tow, IBCLC" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2014 01:58:59 -0400
This is all one problem--of course.  I don't understand how the babe got this far w/o it being done, but why would a necessary medical procedure need to wait until baby leaves the hospital? The baby needs the ties revised--first--not last. I specialize in working with babies like this one and the very first thing we take off the table is oral restriction. Mother probably thinks baby is not sensitive to these foods now, bc there was no improvement, yet you are not likely to have improvement with restrictions still present and w.o healing the mother's gut--which is the source of the infant's gut function. Pushing food into the baby that contains allergens is a very bad idea. I would counsel the mother on nutrition (I don't believe for a minute she has no food intolerances--kids get damaged guts from mothers who have damaged guts--and given her birth story--her health is not the best. I do not accept mothers telling me they don't have allergies--I ask the questions that actually tell me if they do. She needs a wholr foods, nutrient dense diet, probably with supplements and I bet that kid is seriously deficientin zinc at the very least. he needs nutrition--but he needs it through his mother and that can be done if mom is properly nourished and the baby is properly supported.