From:
Rachel Bittker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2006 14:11:05 -0800
I am also hoping that someone is going to respond with actual data on
this.  I, too, have been taught that eating can take more calories than
ingested.  But, no data.

Now that I'm a mom, rather than just a medical professional, I cannot
imagine how nursing would consume many calories compared to the other
things babies do - even if it is just laying in a crib.  It seems to me
that a nursed infant is a calm, warm, and low-stress infant.  With the
calming effects, that must reduce stress hormones (I'm sure someone has
the data on that), decreasing heart rate, respiratory rate, etc.  The
mom is holding baby close, so fewer calories are being burned to keep
baby warm.  In a NICU setting, the warmer would be keeping baby warm, of
course.  But the warmer probably doesn't do much for stress levels.  I
wonder if there is a cost/benefit tipping point somewhere on the preemie
spectrum.

Anyway, I'd love to see data.

Rachel
-------