From:
WACHSMUTH Mary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Dec 2009 18:42:30 -0800
I had a client today that was told by her pediatrician to stop
breastfeeding her 1 mo old because of family in her home that have bad
scabies infections. The mom is really scared of her baby getting
scabies. She is worried that she is getting it because of her hands
being itchy. Right now she is pumping and dumping. I told her the chance
of it getting in the breastmilk is very low, I'm guessing, if at all.
The idea of pumping 8x/day seems like a huge obstacle for her. I never
heard the recommendation of stopping breastfeeding to prevent scabies.
She's uninsured right now and no employment so even getting in to a Dr.
and getting meds for herself seems to be a big obstacle for her. I told
her I would ask around for other people's suggestions.

Thanks for your help!

Mary Wachsmuth
WIC Nutrition Assistant/aspiring IBCLC