From:
Kim Balzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Feb 1997 17:54:41 +0000
While I was getting my nails done today I overheard the manicurist and a
client discussing something that caught my attention. The manicurist said
that she had heard on the news and read in the paper that the makes of
Sim*lac infant formula are refunding parents who used their product $900
per child. Seems there was some problem with their formula (duh!) and
anyone who used Sim*lac during a certain time period (the manicurist
couldn't remember the exact time, sometime during the `80's) can apply for
the money.

I don't get much chance to read the paper (maybe too much time spent on
email?) and rarely watch TV so this is news to me. Anyone else heard
something like this?

What I found especially sad was that both these women were very concerned
as they had fed their children (seven between the two of them) this
product. One of the women even said, "EVERYBODY feeds their babies Sim*lac.
At this point I did have to jump in a remind them that mothers do
breastfeed and something like this wouldn't happen to BF babies.

Any thoughts?
Kim Balzer
La Leche League Leader
Student Lactation Consultant