From:
Ilene Fabisch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Sep 2011 14:35:08 -0400
I have been approached by an RD at a WIC clinic that has been speaking to an
Pediatrician of that local WIC program.  The pediatrician is seeing a "whole
lot" of exclusively breastfeeding infants presenting with gross blood in
their stools...Dx=enterocolitis when she refers them to GI doctors for
further evaluation.  Both the Pediatrician, the RD and myself and other LC's
she has conferred with are rather stumped. The pedi seems to be providing
good information pertaining to changing the mothers diet and sees good
results from this but is having a hard time with compliance.  The bigger
questions are why the increase in incidence in this area?  Is this really
what they think it is?  Is anyone else seeing this increase?  This is in the
western MA area.  The only unusual thing I can think of about this area is
it is just recovering from tornado damage...not sure how that would affect
diet or babies...

If you can share some ideas (ie: dx, tx or follow up) please note I'd like
to share them with the pediatrician.
Thank you,
Ilene Fabisch, IBCLC/RLC
A Gentle Beginning Lactation Assistance