From:
Todd & Rita Madden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Aug 2011 12:10:04 -0700
Hello all,

I am hoping to glean from the vast and wonderful knowledge of this list.

A mom and baby couplet have been exclusively nursing for 6 months.  At 6 months, mom started solids for a week, baby got a cold, stopped solids until cold cleared (1 week) and is now back to solids once a day along with continued nursing for the past 2 weeks.  This puts baby at 7 months old.

Mom's complaint is that baby is waking twice at night to "graze" and has never done that before.  He has been doing that for the past 3 nights.

My first thought is that he may have a residual ear infection from the cold, but mom says he doesn't act out of sorts during the day.  My second thought is perhaps there has been a change in his routine.  The only change was starting a new day care 3 weeks ago.  Mom's thought is he is not getting enough, yet her supply is great (has 200 ounces frozen still).  She nurses on demand and she gives him one "ice cube" size portion of her homemade vegetable baby food once a day.  I encouraged her to increase the amount by offering it 3 times a day during their mealtimes.

Is there anything else I can tell her?

Rita RN IBCLC in Iowa