From:
Phyllis Adamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2005 23:05:36 -0700
It sounds like she doesn't promote breastfeeding. Her request gives the
impression that she is trying to "meet a quota", possibly for distribution
of formula, so her office can keep its federal funding. Often, govt-funded
offices that don't use their annual budget, find their budget cut the
following year.

I would think you would have an employment Cause of Action if she fired you
anyway, after reading your Code of Ethics. I hope you have already shared
that document with her.

BTW: The majority of patients in my hospital are low to very low income,
but WIC never comes here trolling for clients. To my knowledge, they don't
go to any hospital in my city. They do provide the standard WIC information
brochures and contact information. I give them out to our NICU moms so they
can see if they qualify to borrow a breast pump, and I tell the moms that
there is a BF Counselor in every office.

Phyllis

> are there any IBCLC's currently doing WIC certifications in the hospital

> which require them to issue formula packages to non-breastfeeding mothers?

> I have been asked by a new nutrition services coordinator to begin doing

> the WIC certs in the hospital.  When I told her that I could not ethically

> do this she basically said it would mean my job!  Thanks for your help.

--- Phyllis Adamson, IBCLC, RLC
--- Glendale, AZ, USA
--- Scanned by Norton AntiVirus with auto-updates