From:
Lucy Towbin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2006 10:16:05 -0600
Jennifer made the following statement, that has not been discussed much
in this SOP discussion: "I also believe that so long as the IBLCE Board
composition reflects the western medical model, we can never hope to
normalize breastfeeding, as that model will continue to be the compass
for all action."  How do people become members of the IBLCE Board?  Does
anyone involved in this discussion think that they SHOULD reflect the
western model and that IBCLC practice should also?  If so, why? Is there
a way to not contradict the western model and yet practice in a more
wholistic way? (I think people have given some good examples, but I
don't know that the board would be thinking in these terms.) I'm just
thinking out loud, here.  I have found that, although, as a whole,
physicians want to get information from other physicians and nobody
else, most of them also respect professionals in any field that they
experience as having scientific, evidence based information. It is often
how it is presented to them that also determines whether they will
listen.  For example, in introducing me before my presentation to Ob/Gyn
grand rounds, the attending doc who organizes grand rounds said some
interesting facts from my CV that were not lactation related and then
said he was amazed in talking with me to learn that the exam we had to
pass to become a lactation consultant was six hours long.  The questions
that were asked afterwards (including by the head of the department, who
is not much of a breastfeeding advocate) seemed to assume that I was a
knowledgeable resource for them.

A bit of trivia:  definition of the word "sop" includes 1) a piece of
food, as bread, soaked in milk, gravy, etc., 2) something given away by
way of concession or appeasement, 3) same as MILKSOP.  ;-)

Lucy Towbin, MSW, LCSW, IBCLC