From:
The Shillings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 1997 13:05:56 -0500
I am new to Lactnet and this is my first post.  I met lots of you at the
Lactnet lunch in Nashville.  It's so nice to see faces as I write this.

I am interested in knowing how many LCs are working with DOs with babies
who have unresolvable problems.  At a recent Ohio LCA meeting a NICU nurse
described referring babies with unorganized sucks to a trained DO for
cranial manipulations.  Upon my return to WV, I met with a DO and quickly
made my first referral of a friend with a  5 week old who was acting quite
colicky and nursing frequently.  Vegetarian mom had successfully nursed two
kids but now was worried why this time was not going as well.  On her own
she had stopped eating dairy, beans, etc.  with no change.  Baby has club
feet and is casted.  Mom also observed baby's head was not completely
symetrical.  She noticed that he never turned his head to his left side
when laying on his back.

DO explained that the heavy casts could be affecting the neurological
balance.

It's been five days since the treatment, which was more like a massage
pressure than a chiropractic manipulation you may be familiar with. The
baby is much more content and turns his head to the left side on his own.
Mom is back to normal diet.  Baby is no longer fussing excessively.

Is this is old topic for Lactnetters?  I'll check the archives once I
figure out how.  But I would love to be in contact with other LCs to
further examine this.  When you think about the trauma that babies go
through with vacuums, forceps and when there is shoulder dystocia.  Egads.

Thanks and this wasn't so hard to do.

Teri Shilling, MS, FACCE, IBCLC