From:
pat Bull <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jun 1997 14:52:37 -0400
Hello Netters,

I have been thinking about this issue for awhile now.  That is flat/inverted
nipples:  are they because of adhesions?, does US really have greater
incidences than other countries?, how do they truely effect BF?, and what can
we really do to help these mothers (and babies)?.  As I posted before, I know
of many people that no longer practicing the hoffman or nipple stretching
exercises.  I have to admit that I still will have moms do the exercises
twice a day 10X each for the last month of their pregnancy, along with
wearing the breast shells.  It might not break down the adhesions, but maybe
it helps out stretching the tissues.  I also feel it is beneficial in getting
mothers familiar with touching/handling their breasts, not in a sexual way,
but in a comfortable way as when they are positioning for latch-on.   I
follow it all up with lots of education, support, and expectations,
especially after the baby is born.  I agree with some of the posts that
gadgets have become overwelming.  As I have said many times before,
breastfeeding products can be of benefit, but only if use appropriately.  I
remember when I use to work as an LC in a hospital that occasionally when I
was making rounds, I would find a mother wearing breast shells for her "flat
nipples".  After I assessed her breasts and nipples, I was appauled at the
nurse that had given her the shells because she had perfectly erect nipples.
 Maybe latch-on difficulties, but sure not because of her nipples.  Yes,
products can be abused and misused.  I have also observed here, at least in
my middle, upper class community, that moms might "try" ( I hate that) to BF,
but if baby is unable to latch-on after a few trys, we all quit.  The shells
seemed to be that one thing that would help them to hold on a little longer,
until baby was able to latch on completely by themselves.  I am sure that any
mom with high motivation and determination that keeps on attempting to BF
past the first weeks, maybe even month of latch-on difficulty or other types
of difficulties, using alternative feeding methods, would evidually get her
baby to BF.  Unfortunately, with the minimal support here, all the crazy
stress, wanting instant fix-it NOW!!!!!!!, mothers give up fairly quickly.
 If only there was a pill for everything, we would be just fine here in the
US.  At least that is our mind set.  Enough Pat.  I am signing off my box
now.  You can tell I have more time to myself now of days.  I love it.
THE DAILY GRIND---  At work, you think of the children you've left at home.
 At home, you think of the work you've left unfinished."  by Golda Meir
Pat Bull, RN, IBCLC
The Breastfeeding Connection/Medela
Naperville, IL