Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2007 22:49:13 -0700
I'm with Laurie on this one. A biopsy can be done on a lactating breast without weaning. I had one done when I was nursing a 2 month old. It was a 24 hour stay in 1971. I nursed right up to the pre-op meds were given and again as soon as I was back in my room.

The surgeon reported no problem, not a tumor, just a gigantic plugged duct - remnant of taking on my niece for 3 days, 2 wks earlier when my SIL went to the hospital with PPH 2 wks after delivery. Then she came home and resumed nursing her daughter. So I developed a lump almost the size of a duck egg. Surgeon tried aspiration and got nothing, so I was sent for a biopsy. Surgeon said they had more trouble with leaking milk than with blood.. hahaha   I was not laughing with him.

Anyway, he placed a drain tube pointing away from my nipple and I had to carefully change the dressing daily, or more often, I can't remember now. It did not interfere with nursing, but it was half way between my nipple and the axilla area, about 9:00 location on R.breast if you were looking at me. Scar is about 1.5" long.

I've read other posts about biopsies on lactating breasts and the consensus on this list was the leaking milk, being a living antibiotic tissue, aided healing without the usual dry itching you feel on an incision.

My recommendation: ask the surgeon to make his incision, if possible, radially, like a spoke pointing away from the nipple, on the idea it will do less damage to duct work and glandular tissue.

Phyllis

--
Phyllis Adamson, IBCLC, RLC
Glendale, AZ.