From:
Valerie McClain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 06:59:46 -0800
In addition to my previous post, I feel the need to comment on why there should be concerns about gm formulas(genetically modified).  There is growing concern that gm foods cause unintended changes--less nutritious, even harmful.  Organic Gardening(January/February 2000, p.47) states that, "genetic engineers use antibiotic marker genes to help them transfer genetic coding from one life-form to another."  The concern is that this will add to our already serious problem of antiobiotic resistance in people.  Gm foods carry the potential for hidden allergens.  When DNA is transfered from one organism to another, a nonallergic food may set off an allergic reaction.  How much testing was done before this was put into infant formula?  How many parents even know that their infants are drinking a gm food?

This leads me back to safety issues and why we made an assumption that what is made commercially is safer.  Who benefits from our believing in the lack of safety of home prepared formulas?  Who makes money from that belief?  The point is that neither home-prepared formulas or commercial formulas are appropriate foods for infants.  All infants should be getting breast milk.    Valerie W. McClain, IBCLC