Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 2004 13:55:50 +0000
>I did receive some mail advertising this bracelet and this my personal
>reaction.  There is no reason that a mother has to keep tract which
>breast  she
>used last or if one is used more than the other.  I want mothers to
>just relax
>and enjoy their babies and the breastfeeding experience.   Keeping tract of
>which breast was used last is right up there with "timed  feedings", mothers
>watching the clock and not the baby.
>Having some nice jewelry that reflects breastfeeding is fine just  don't try
>to push more gadgets at parents.
>Off my soap box.
>Ann Perry, RN IBCLC
>Boston, MA

I agree with this, Ann!

Women who do find it more comfortable to keep track ( to prevent a
build up on the under-used side) will evolve their own ways of doing
so (self-weighing!) - when people ask me about this, I say it's not a
bad idea at first to alternate the breast you start with, if you can
be bothered to remember. But it's normally no big deal - the baby
sorts it out.

Similarly, mothers here get into a tangle worrying about foremilk and
hindmilk, terrified their babies get too much of one and not enough
of the other. This is encouraged by some trashy books and some
healthcare professionals who tell mothers they have to make sure
their babies are on X minutes.

Makes me very cross!

There is no need, in a normal, healthy, bf mother and baby, to do any
engineering of the process.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc, tutor. UK