From:
Maurenne griese <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 10:09:52 -0500
Good morning!

Pat, you hit the nail on the head, at least in my eyes.  It seems that for
the last two weeks, I've pitted patients til I thought they were going to
pop following prolonged spont. ROM.  Of course, they also have a labor
epidural on a pump.  Then, they get febrile and end up having a cesarean
birth because their infected uterus can't contract well (or maybe it's just
worn out).  Then, they are numbed with IV Morphine for 12 hours.

Yet, I've been able to get their babies nursing (despite the nursery nurse
sending over a bottle of SIN because the dad wanted to feed the baby)!  The
nursery nurses hate it when I'm working because I keep "their babies" with
the babies' mothers and I hold them accountable for their actions (that's
another story, called 'Militant Lactivist on a Mission from God').

This, along with a multip who delivered so quickly and NORMALLY that she
didn't have time the intrathecal she wanted, is the occasional bright spot
in my nursing practice within the Birth Machine.

I need a vacation, or maybe just a normal birth every now and then.  What a
weird mood I'm in today.

Maurenne Griese, RNC, BSN, CCE, CBE
Pregnancy & Childbirth Contributing Editor
http://www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/pregnancy_childbirth
Manhattan, KS  USA