Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Sep 2003 16:08:50 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (30 lines)
Dear All,
I am writing to hear any advice on a very difficult situation.  In order to properly understand her situation, I need to give a brief description of Orthodox Jewish law.  I will not go into the whys-  much to long and definately not the forum.
    From the minute a woman gets her period, she is not allowed to touch (even casually) her husband, as well as kiss or have physical relations.  This prohibition continues for the entire amount of time that she is actually menstruating, as well as for an additional 7 days afterwards.  In a normal, non lactating, non pregnant mother, it would come out that about 2 weeks out of the month there is no physical contact between husband and wife.

So this is one of the extra benifits of LAM method for an Orthodox Jewish woman- none of this has to be dealt with, and every day can be "on" time.
This brings me to my question.  Any sort of blood coming from the uterus- even if not a full flow, can render the woman in the "off" time- and then she has to count another 7 days from that point until she immerses in a ritual bath and then can resume relations with her husband.
I have a client, 6th child, who fully breastfed first 4 children and always got a full period at 6 weeks.
On child number 5 we talked alot about LAM etc- and instead of getting her period, she "stained" until 6 months- which means that basically every time she had began counting the purifying 7 days- she stained and had to start all over again.  This means it was months upon months until she was able to touch her husband.  She tried a million and one homeopathic and alternative things, and nothing helped.  The doctor put her on a mini pill, and she stained on that also.  Interestingly, in all this horrible situation, none of the Rabbis they consulted with advised to stop Breastfeeding.
Now she is on her 6th kid, he is now 6 months old, and she has been staining for over 3 months now and has not been able to be with her husband as a result.  The minute she stops BF, she resumes regular menstruation and everything is fine.  She of course does not want to stop, but is very understandably put in a terrible position.
I advised her to take a general hormone test, and all came out within normal limits.
The OBGYN's here, who are very familiar with these religious laws and some Orthodox themselves, have nothing they can advise her.
Why does this happen?  Why should she be staining?
Does anyone have any ideas, suggestions, maybe some alternative therapy that can help organize this?
I hope this was clear-  I understand it can sound foreign and confusing to people not familiar with it.
I look forward to any responses-  Please mail privately also as I might have trouble reading the whole list this week due to Holidays...
Jessica Billowitz, IBCLC
Israel

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2