From:
Maureen Minchin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 May 1996 14:05:43 +1000
Do Males produce prolactin and/or oxytocin?  After hearing people
on-line describe "phantom let-downs," I must admit it sounds very
similar to the sensations I feel when I witness a baby latch on and
feed for the first time.  It is a warmth that spreads throughout my
chest.  Is it possible, or just something else??

Right on, Jeffrey. Oxytocin is released during skin contact and especialy
coitus in both sexes, and was referred to by Newton as the hormone of
affiliation: pair-bonding as well as maternal bonding, a key to a viable
long-term partnership. Ditto prolactin. Studies of species such as some
mice where males were infant caretakers showed higher prolactin levels with
increased skin contact. Kangaroo care has benefits for all who do it
whether staff or parent of either gender, as well as baby. I'm sure there's
an ILCA tape on this from not too many years ago. And by the way, prolactin
levels can be sufficient to allow full lactation with simultaneous success
as a stud: at least for a family of pedigree goats Prof Short has lectured
about! The grandfather died of mastitis while his grandson learned to drink
his own milk and lived to a ripe old age. Now that's flexibility and
fhaving it all! Maureen