Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 20:03:51 +0100

>I am not a good enough statistician to say that this is wholly persuasive  --
>there could well be faults in the analyisis that I am missing.  But it
>certainly doesn't sound crazy to me.   Folks on LN whom I respect -- notably
>Barbara -- have been teaching me for a long time that babies and parents
>compensate, so that "needing" a paci or being happy with one can surely be a
>result of a feeding problem.   And we have all seen (sadly) cases where
>maternal unwillingness to put the baby back to the breast "so soon" is the
>cause, rather than the result, of sticking in the pacifier.

I think this is an interestng study, and my thoughts on it are still
a bit hazy....partly because the stats are a bit beyond me without a
great deal of teeth gnashing : (

I think it doesn't quite answer the question 'do pacifiers help
or hinder breastfeeding?'  I suspect there is more to it than them
being a 'marker' for difficulties or low motivation (though I think I
agree with that).

Like Elisheva, I wonder if the use of a pacifier works against
looking for other reasons why a baby is crying and fussing - such as
ineffective breastfeeding. I don't know if you could design a
quantitatve study that was subtle and sensitive enough to seek that
out.

Heather Welford  Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK