From:
Mary Schultz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 09:05:48 EST
"There are many people who breastfeed for longer than the "typical" three to
six months and there are many people who cosleep with their children. But if
we don't talk about it, health care professionals and other people who work
with mothers and families will continue to think it's something weird or
abnormal. After all, nobody THEY know does it!"

Teresa, I LOVE this point....these are two of my favorite issues to discuss
with my patients (when I was in private practice) and the residents and
medical students I teach--now they all know at least ONE person who did/does
it!

Co-sleeping was one of the biggest mindset changes for me as a pediatrician;
I was "trained" that it was wrong, bad, detrimental, etc.  After practicing
for several years, seeing quite a few co-sleeping families, and reading up on
the subject, I had my own children, and realized that all of us could sleep
better (since both my girls were cluster night nursers) if we slept together.
 In discussing it with parents and residents/students now, I approach it from
the standpoint of informed consent--most parents realize the benefits in the
early months, but have trouble with a child who walks and talks
co-sleeping.....families seem much more willing to try it if you discuss the
long-term "consequences" up front.

Mary Schultz, MD
Peoria, IL